Have you ever wanted to learn the skills of the samurai? Or do you want to learn the skills to enhance another martial art? Come join us and help us preserve the 600-year-old art of Katori Shinto-ryu.
Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto-ryu (天真正伝香取神道流) is one of the oldest Japanese martial arts, and is revered as a koryū bujutsu. The art has been continuously passed from teacher to student since its founding in 1447 by Iizasa Choisai Ienao (飯篠 長威斎 家直).
Students study a comprehensive system of martial arts that includes Japanese swordsmanship (Kenjutsu, 剣術) and sword drawing techniques (Iaijutsu, 居合術), as well as the use of two swords (Ryotojutsu, 両刀術), the staff (Bojutsu, 棒術), the naginata (Naginatajutsu, 長刀術), and the spear (Sojutsu, 槍術). Students learn the principles and techniques of these weapons through hours of kata training with teachers and other students.
For more information on the history of Katori Shinto Ryu, please visit Sugawara Budo.
- Sword (tachi/katana) vs Sword, partner kata (Demo)
- Short sword (shoto/wakizashi) vs Sword
- Two-sword (long and short) vs Sword
- Polearm (naginata) vs Sword (Demo)
- Staff (bo) vs Sword (Demo)
- Spear (yari) vs Sword
- Seated solo sword katas
- Tachiai battojutsu:
- Standing solo sword katas
Articles for Katori Shinto-ryu
- How to Draw a Japanese Sword – Basics and Safety (VIDEO) (4/1/2021)
- Warmup for Improving Katori Shinto Ryu Technique (VIDEO) (12/9/2020)
- Katori Shinto Ryu Iaijutsu (Video) (12/9/2020)
- Paul Frank Sensei and Don McGee Sensei Perform Katori Kata (Video) (12/9/2020)
- Hakama wear and Care (Video) (12/9/2020)
- Training Katori Shinto Ryu Increases Aikido Proficiency (Video) (10/2/2019)
- Aikido Jo Beginner and Advanced Principles (Video) (9/9/2019)
- Connecting Through the Sword (10/7/2018)
- Katori Shinto-ryu Class Overview (9/7/2018)